Day 284 Question 284:
If you were to make a Time Capsule right now what would you put in it?
When you were young did you have to do a time capsule for class? I remember doing one in the 4th grade and I am almost certain it is still buried in the back yard of the house that I grew up in. I have very little recollection of that could be in that box except for a class picture and a few strands of my own hair. I hope that one day I might just get my hands on that box but if not I hope whoever does is able to find a box full of memories of a young child. I hope they are able to embrace the innocence and the excitement of the items the box contained.
I have wondered about what items I would put in a time capsule now that I am an adult. What things are significant enough that I would want to dig up in 30+ years or have someone else find in hopes that they appreciate what is in that box. Well, I guess here is my chance to figure it out.
1) I would print all of my writings from this blog and bind and cover it and include prints of some of my favorite artwork from Georgia O’Keefe, Andy Warhol and Banksy the most amazing street artist.
2) I would include my copy of The Art of Happiness by the Dalai Lama. The copy that has been highlighted so I can remember those parts that were obviously important in the moment.
3) I would include a letter…just a general letter for whoever were to open the box. A letter of what I hope the world may have become….a letter encouraging the reader to believe in love and to find their personal path in life. A letter that would encourage them to find their happiness and to remember that it is a journey not a destination.
4) I would include pictures from every period of my life so I could see my own evolution (or whoever were to open the box could see it). I would label each picture and doodle a small note about what I remember about my life at that time.
5) I would include folded notes from my friends and family that had never been read by anyone (except for the person writing them) and ask them what happiness means to them and what they hope the world will be like in 30+ years. I would allow them to express as much or as little as they wanted.
I am unsure of what else I would include in this time capsule. I could include material items but those are the things that don’t hold much significance to me. It would be interesting to see how certain materials have changed over time but I am more interested to learn how people have changed over time and to see if society has progressed or regressed (which would obviously be a matter of opinion). I would want to share my important thoughts and feelings at this moment in life in hopes to revisit and see if I still hold onto the same beliefs and values and if the box is opened by hands other than my own I hope they are able to feel the passion through my words and I hope that passion drives them in some way or another. I hope my words have a power to move someone…..to make them want to continue to be better and to do better.